Sunday, February 8, 2009

Interesting Day

Sundays are interesting days. I really never know what's going to happen or who I am going to talk to.

Today, after we had just started our service, a woman walks in who is obviously drunk and/or high. She then proceeds to give a word of encouragement after every part of the service. After my wife lead the praise time she said out loud, "Good job. I love those songs." After the scripture was read she said, "Carol, I liked the way you read that scripture." As I was asking for prayer requests she randomly said "Jesus is Lord".

I really didn't know how to respond to this woman. I asked my wife to talk to her outside of the chapel, but the woman refused to go. She said that she promised to be quiet.

She didn't keep that promise.

Although it was an awkward service, I'm glad this woman felt like the Salvation Army was a safe place to go in her condition. That's what I want our church to be. A place where anyone can come. No matter who you are or what you have done, you are welcome.

I took some time to pray and talk with this woman after the meeting. She has obviously gone through some traumatic times.

I can't think of a better place for her to be.

No comments: